START-Engaging Parents of Students with Disabilities
Offering programs and services that support the engagement of families to improve outcomes for students.
SEPAGS in NJ
SPECIAL EDUCATION PARENT ADVISORY GROUPS
Special Education Parent Advisory Groups (SEPAGs) are required for all school districts in New Jersey. The purpose of these groups is to provide opportunities for parents and community members to offer input to their districts on critical issues relating to students with disabilities.
New Jersey Administrative Code states: Each board of education shall ensure that a special education parent advisory group is in place in the district to provide input to the district on issues concerning students with disabilities. 6A:14-1.2(h)
Parent Groups Listing: “FIND” or check the listing in your county to connect with SEPAGs in your area.
Parent Group Specialists (PGS): “CONTACT” us if you would like help starting or running a parent group.
Add/Update a Group Listing: “LIST” an update to an existing group or add a new group to connect others with their SEPAG.
The following documents are available for parent leaders/groups to share with their districts to provide more information about SEPAGs and the role START-EPSD plays in supporting families and districts as they start and run SEPAGs:
- About the START-EPSD Project (English/Spanish) (PDF)
- About Special Education Parent Advisory Groups (English) (PDF)
- Grupo Consultivo de Padres en Educación Especial (Español) (PDF)
- About the NJ SEPAG Guide to Developing and Conducting an Effective Group (English/Spanish) (PDF)
The following documents are available for parent leaders/groups to use during meetings or to help familiarize SEPAG members on the ins and outs of running and participating in a parent group.
- Developing & Implementing an Effective Special Education Parent Advisory Group (SEPAG) | This chart includes the steps and questions to consider when developing a SEPAG. Use this tool as a guide for discussion when forming your group. English: DOC / PDF | Español: DOC / PDF
- Action Minutes—Organizational tool for taking minutes | Use this form at meetings to quickly and effectively take minutes, document a group discussion, and create an action plan. It can also be copied into a Google Doc and made interactive so anyone with a link can add comments or suggestions. English: DOC / PDF | Español: DOC / PDF
- Input Tool for SEPAG Meetings—Organizational Tool for collecting input at SEPAG meetings | Use this chart to organize input, identify systemic issues, and include suggestions for possible resolution. It can also be copied into a Google Doc and made interactive so anyone with a link can add comments or suggestions. English: DOC / PDF | Español: DOC / PDF
- Webinar: Special Education Parent Advisory Groups in New Jersey l Guide to Developing and Conducting an Effective Group | Developed for parents and professionals to present an overview of the structure, content, and use of the Special Education Parent Advisory Groups in New Jersey l Guide to Developing and Conducting an Effective Group
- Serving on Groups—Webinar Series and Resources | Developed by the WI Family Assistance Center for Education, Training, and Support (WI FACETS), this training enables individual or group users to learn how to:
- confidently and actively participate in decision-making groups,
- recognize personal leadership skills,
- build an understanding about decision-making groups, and
- develop skills essential for active and meaningful participation in groups.
Special Education Parent Advisory Groups in NJ: A Guide to Developing and Conducting an Effective Group | This guide was developed utilizing best practices to assist parents and professionals interested in starting and running effective groups.
Grupos Consultivos de Padres en Educación Especial en Nueva Jersey l Una guía para desarrollar y dirigir un grupo efectivo | Esta guía se desarrolló utilizando las mejores prácticas para ayudar a los padres y profesionales interesados en crear y manejar grupos efectivos.
START-EPSD Quick Guides | Helpful information about different topics, in an easy-to-digest format | English & Spanish (PDF)
OTHER HELPFUL LINKS
Partners in Education: A Dual Capacity-Building Framework for Family–School Partnerships: Presents a new framework for designing family engagement initiatives that build capacity among educators and families to partner with one another around student success
New Jersey Department of Education Office of Special Education: Information and updates on Special Education from NJDOE
NJ State Special Education Advisory Council: The purpose of the advisory council is to provide guidance on special education and related services
How Can SEPAGs Use Technology to Strengthen Family Engagement?
The increased use of technology by families in their everyday lives creates a new opportunity for Special Education Parent Advisory Groups (SEPAGs) to use a variety of digital tools to outreach to, gather input from, and engage with more families of children receiving special education and related services. Effective use of technology can strengthen family engagement in special education as well as SEPAG’s impact.
Please respond to the five-question survey to share digital tools and resources your SEPAG uses. Provide a link to your SEPAG’s tools if available.