Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI)
Mentoring & Family Engagement Project
Supporting Deaf/Hard of Hearing Children and Their Families
Increasing the number of newborns and infants identified as Deaf/Hard of Hearing (D/HH) enrolled in Early Intervention services, and providing support to families/parents/caregivers of newborns and infants who are D/HH
NJ Deaf Mentor Program
What is a Deaf Mentor?
- An adult who is Deaf or hard of hearing who communicates via ASL, Total Communication, Listening and Spoken Language, and/or Cued Speech/Cued English Represents the full range of hearing levels, communication choices, technology use, and education
- Interacts with children with hearing loss and their families in their home, via technology or in person, and at social events
- Answers questions and shares first hand experiences
- Deaf Mentors who communicate via ASL are trained in ASL instruction, teach families about Deaf Culture and introduce them to the Deaf Community
- Deaf Mentors will be required to complete a comprehensive SKI HI Mentor training program
* Do you have a D/HH child aged Birth–5 years old?
Download the Flyer (PDF) for more information on this FREE program for families interested in having a Deaf Mentor and/or a ASL Deaf Language Associate.
* Are you a D/HH Adult willing to share your experiences?
Download the Flyer (PDF) for more information on how you can mentor, share your story with families, and/or support a child with a hearing loss in a childcare setting.
Family Support and Engagement Learning Community
What is a Learning Community?
- A framework for people to meet around a shared goal
- An opportunity to effect change
- A place to develop practical goals
- It connects people, organizations, and systems
- Works across boundaries
What are the Expectations?
- Meet about 5 times per year
- Be available for conference calls and in person meetings
- Participate in leadership trainings
- Share experiences
- Share ideas to improve quality of care for newborns with hearing loss
* Are you interested in sharing your experiences?
SPAN is looking for parents interested in participating in the Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI) Family Support and Engagement Learning Community.
Communication access services available upon request. Stipends available to help cover time and expenses.
About the Deaf Mentor Program
Useful Links & Websites
Health Screening & Follow-Up | Did your child receive a refer result on the newborn hearing screening? The NJ Department of Health provides answers to frequently asked questions and further information and resources on next steps.
Hear to Learn Resources for Parent and Professionals | The Utah State University Listening and Spoken Language program, Sound Beginnings, helps children with hearing loss reach their potential for academic and life success. This website provides user-friendly materials for parents of children who are deaf or hard of hearing, as well as those who care for and work with them.
Oir para Aprender Recursos para Padres y Profesionales | El programa de la audición y el lenguaje hablado de Utah State University, Sound Beginnings, ayuda a los niños con pérdida auditiva a alcanzar su potencial académico y el éxito en la vida. Este sitio web proporciona materiales fáciles de usar para padres de niños sordos o con problemas de audición, así como aquellos que los cuidan y trabajan con ellos.
ASL Story Telling | This video is a resource from the Texas School for the Deaf Education Resource Center on Deafness to improve language learning and literacy for D/HH students.
Online ASL & Deaf Studies Courses | Gallaudet University offers a variety of free introductory videos and interactive lessons for learning basic ASL as well as online ASL and Deaf Studies courses.
Check out these upcoming events, notices, and links to more resources:
- Central Jersey Meet and Practice ASL at Menlo Park Mall Monthly Deaf Chat | meetup.com/Meet-and-Practice-ASL-with-Others-Meetup
- 2019 American Society for Deaf Children Conference, June 27-29, 2019 at Delaware School for the Deaf | deafchildren.org/events/asdc-conferences
- 2019 Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Youth | (1) Camp list from the state of NJ / (2) American Society for Deaf Children
The EHDI Project is a collaboration of the New Jersey Department of Health and the SPAN Parent Advocacy Network.