Statewide Technical Assistance And Resources Team (START)
Together families can make a difference!
The START Project offers programs and services that support the engagement of families to improve outcomes for students, including developing and supporting special education parent advisory and support groups in communities and school districts. Through workshops, regional meetings, and parent leadership development activities, we help parents and parent leaders:
- Become informed and active participants in their child’s education.
- Partner with educators in improving educational programs students with disabilities, particularly in the area of Inclusion.
- Start or strengthen a parent advisory group or parent support group in your area.
Check out these START events and activities:
START Project Resources include:
- Tools to Support Parent/Student Participation in the IEP Process
- Literacy Strategies for Families
- Literacy Pages for Families
- Assistive Technology
- Family-Educator Collaboration
- Webinar: Parents as Partners in Promoting Best Practices in Inclusive Education
- LRE and Inclusion: Utilizing a Tiered System of Supports (TSS) to Support Students with Disabilities in General Education Settings
- Partners in Education: A Dual Capacity-Building Framework for Family–School Partnerships
- New Jersey Department of Education Office of Special Education - Check here for information and updates on Special Education from NJDOE
- NJ State Special Education Advisory Council - guidance on special education and related services.
- The Harvard Family Research Project - meeting the growing demand for information on effective ways to support family involvement in children’s learning and development.
- SEDL - develops and disseminates research-based resources on building family and community partnerships that are focused on student success.
- #ParentCamp - a hybrid "un-conference" opportunity for parents and teachers to come together.to discuss what is best for children
START Project Director
Karen Antone email@example.com
START Project Coordinator
Michele Tyler firstname.lastname@example.org
Parent Group Specialists
SPAN's START Project is funded through a Cooperative Agreement with the New Jersey Department of Education, Office of Special Education.