Federation of Families for Children's Mental Health Chapter
SPAN is a chapter of the National Federation of Families for Children's Mental Health (FFCMH) (www.ffcmh.org), the national family-led organization that advocates for children and youth with emotional, behavioral, and mental health needs and their families. As a chapter, SPAN provides information, training, technical assistance and support to families and youth with emotional, behavioral, and mental health needs and works to improve services and policies that impact them. SPAN is also a member of the NJ Alliance of Family Support Organizations (http://njfamilyalliance.org), the FFCMH State Organization and SAMHSA-funded Statewide Family Network, which implement the NJ Family and Leadership Acadamy (www.facebook.com/njleadershipacademy). SPAN collaborates with county Family Support Organizations (www.nj.gov/dcf/families/support/support/) in the NJ Children's System of Care (www.performcarenj.org). SPAN is also a member of the NJ Primary Care-Child Psychiatrist Consultation Collaborative (www.facebook.com/njpccp/), working to connect primary care providers to child psychiatrists for consultation on meeting the needs of children with mental health challenges in their practice.
- Sharing information about the programs and services available for children and youth with mental health needs and their families
- Providing information on rights and advocacy strategies to secure needed services
- Conducting workshops on Discipline and Positive Behavior Supports, the Rights of Children and Youth with Special Needs in the Child Welfare and Juvenile Justice System, and Creating Agreement
- Providing parent and professional development on family-centered care, family-professional partnership, and evidence-based strategies
- Advocating to improve services, programs, policies, rules, and regulations that impact children and youth with mental health needs and their families
- Working to improve outcomes for children and youth with mental health needs and their families
SPAN's FFCMH chapter and services are funded in part through our US DOE-funded Parent Training and Information Center, our US DHHS-funded Family to Family Health Information Center, and the IOLTA program of the NJ Bar Association.
For each resource list:
Title: Children's Mental Health Family Guide
Description: This guide provides information for families, especially families of children with mental health challenges, on rights and resources for children's mental health.
Title: Health Advocacy Toolkit
Description: SPAN''s Health Advocacy Manual provides information and tools for families of and individuals with disabilities to be able to access health insurance/health coverage and healthcare.
Title: Integrating Mental Health Into Primary Care Guide for Families
Description: This guide provides critical information for families on integrating mental health services into primary care for their children with mental health needs.
Diana Autin, Executive Co-Director for Health and Family Support
Mercedes Rosa, Director, Family to Family Health Information Center
Lauren Agoratus, Family Voices Coordinator
Erin Seigh, Coordinator, Transition to Adult Life